Ryleigh has been pretty healthy, other than ear infections. This was quite a shock. It's a reminder to me that Ryleigh was a preemie, and regardless of the way things seem, her body still is not as strong as any other 19 month old running around. She basically got the Rhino Virus (which is a cold) and it turned into Bronchiolitis. Only 5 percent of kids have to be hospitalized for this, and most are preemies. Bronchiolitis is common in babies younger than 6 months old, or in babies that have a weakened immune system or early preemies.
Unless you have ever experienced having your child in the hospital, it really is hard to describe how difficult it is. It's hard for a 19 month to understand why they can't roam the room, or pull out their IV, or take off their oxygen mask. The nights were rough too. Someone was always coming in to give medicine, or take a blood pressure check, temperature check, etc.. More than anything, I just didn't want to believe that we really were back in the hospital with Ryleigh. Every night they turned back on the oxygen, I would cry. One more night of oxygen, meant another full day in the hospital, and another night of staying there. It honestly felt like a month. I truly think Ryleigh handeled it better than me! She still managed to smile and blow kisses to the nurses and doctors, even after they did something to her she didn't like. She is such a trooper. I was so proud of her!
Don't get me wrong, we had excellent care! I was impressed with every doctor, nurse, etc. that took care of Ryleigh. They were so encouraging, not to mention I felt confident they knew what they were doing. I have to say, Rod definitely helped me survive it. He was so sweet to sleep with Ryleigh at night, so I could sleep on the couch bed and have more room. Thank you Rod! I love you!
My heart goes out to all the parents out there who have children with terminal diseases, or illnesses that keep them in the hospital frequently. I feel blessed that Ryleigh seems to be back to normal again! Praise God for that!
Aubrey got to stay at Aunt Tami's and Uncle Zack's house until the last night we were in the hospital. We were ready for her to be back home! I missed her terribly, but I don't think she missed us much! Tami created a nice little bed for her to sleep in while she was there. She got to sleep in Kate's room, which of course was a bonus! She did all kinds of fun things with Aubrey! She took her to McDonalds, the Library, the Park, the Grocery Store, you name it! In fact when I came to pick her up from preschool last week, I was so excited! I was going to get to take her home! However, she said, "Are we going to go Kate's house?"
Here are some pictures from the hospital
This picture was taken in the ER before being admitted. Ryleigh had to have multiple breathing treatments.
Lots of tears from Ryleigh! This was right after we were given a room in the hosptial. This was just moments before she was hooked up to oxygen. The poor thing didn't get to go to sleep till midnight.
Rod and I with Ryleigh the next day.
Ryleigh had to learn to play with toys on the bed.
Sleepy, sleepy girl.
Is this girl sick? She sure does have a good attitude.
Brent and Erika hooked us up with some serious treats and gift cards! We love you guys! You know food changes my mood!
We truly appreciate all of our friends and family members that came up to visit. You helped the time go by faster! Many of our friends helped out by either bringing snacks, a toy for Ryleigh, a magazine for me, etc. We love all of you!
Thank you Ben and Liz for stopping your date to come and see us at the ER! I love that you guys took part in singing "The Wheels on the Bus" and other childhood tunes to keep Ryleigh happy during her breathing treatments. You guys are awesome!
Aubrey's face is pricless here!
Aubrey came up to see her sister. She was not sure what to think about Ryleigh at first. I love all of their facial expressions in this picture.
Thank you Tam for bringing us dinner, and taking care of sweet Aubrey.
Ryleigh was so happy when the nurse brought a little mat that she could play on. (She had to stay right by the bed.) She was being silly here.
We would eat our dinner on the mat too!
Aubrey's week went quite better!
Hanging out with Kate and Carly and watching tv
Aubrey and Kate reading books on Aubrey's bed.
At the Library
At McDonalds
Playing in the backyard at the Pruetts
I love this picture!Aubrey and Kate were riding in the car cart at Tom Thumb! Carly has a look of, "Why can't I ride?"
This was the awesome bed that Tami created for Aubrey! She used two couch cushions, and kept them together with a toddler sheet! Aubrey did great sleeping there.
Tami, you have and Zack have always been so quick to help out with Aubrey whenever things come up with Ryleigh. Thank you for taking such good care of Aubrey for the week. We love you guys!
Now things are back to normal!
























1 comment:
SOOOOOOO thankful you are home. sheesh. being in a tough situation like that allows you to see how AMAZING other people are when they reach out and help you. Thats how i felt when you and Tami came to see us! :) What a blessing to be surrounded by such love. So glad things are back to normal. a whole new appreciation for normal all over again! :) Love y'all!
Post a Comment