I have been meaning to write this post for some time now; we are learning the blessing of time. It's hard to even know where to begin. I want to thank each of you who have been praying for our family, and have offered encouragement, prayer, support, you name it. This is by far the most humbling experience I have ever endured. I cannot describe into words how much the emails, posts, texts, prayers mean to us. Those of you who have been through this journey with your child, thank you for providing me with empathy and pictures of your family.
It's hard to believe we have only had Ryleigh a week now. I feel like I have been on this road forever. I have never experienced pain like this in my life. I honestly can say this experience has given me a greater understanding of how deep God's love is for us. It is very, very painful for me to see Ryleigh hooked up to so many cords, fighting this fight. I would do this for her in a heart beat. God feels the same way about us, when we are experiencing pain. One of my distant relatives that had twins sent my Dad a profound message that said, "Once again a tiny baby is spreading the gospel." I know God is using Ryleigh's birth and life to bring others to their knees in prayer. Thank you Ryleigh!
There are so many things that I took for granted with Aubrey in her first few months of life that I didn't even realize were a privilege. When Ryleigh entered this world, there were no sounds of a baby crying, there were no smiles on people's faces, only the sound of the doctors as they tried to help Ryleigh breathe. She was taken away before I could even see her. We were told just hours later that it might be good for us to come and see her. They were taking some last measures to hopefully bring about a change but they didn't want to give us false hope. Seeing such a tiny baby was almost more than I could endure. I will never forget placing my finger in the incubator, and Ryleigh grabbing it. I believe she was sending me the message, "Don't give up hope Mom, I am still here. The doctors don't know how strong a fighter I am." I didn't hold her hand for long, it was more than I could emotionally stand. I told Rod I couldn't take it. That could have been the biggest mistake of my life. Ryleigh, I will never give up on you like that again. All of you prayer warriors were at work. You did not give up hope. The next morning we got a call saying her levels were up and she was doing better. We still are in the roller coaster world of NICU life, but we are all hanging in there.
What does Ryleigh's name mean? Rod and I spent hours trying to find a name that we felt defined Ryleigh and the journey she has been on since she got here. Ryleigh was a name we had discussed for many month's and as we searched names with meanings like courageous, brave, etc., Ryleigh came up over and over again. The definition of her name means brave, courageous and lively. Even while Ryleigh was in the womb, I spent one night rocking in the chair, and I got this overwhelming feeling that her name was supposed to be Ryleigh. Now that we have had Ryleigh, it is completely fitting for her to have that name. Ryleigh's middle name is Grace. We spent some time talking about the various meanings of Grace. Our first thoughts centered around meanings like unmerited forgiveness. But we also talked about the meaning as Paul used it as he concluded each of his letters. The Greek word Paul uses here is also used in Luke 1:30 - "But the angel said to her, do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God". Ryleigh do not be afraid my girl, you have found favor with our Mighty God.
Specific prayer requests that you can be lifting up for Ryleigh currently are:
1) Tomorrow the doctor will try to run a PICC line up her arm to her heart, and the first time didn't work. If it doesn't work after another couple of trys, they will have to have a surgeon make a incision in her shoulder to place the line in. I really don't want her to have to undergo surgery!
2) She has a PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosis) between her two chambers of her heart. Most babies are born with it closed, but premies often times are born with it open.Blood that is supposed to run out and into her body is running into her lungs. She is currently on medicine to close it, but if that doesn't work, she will have to have heart surgery to get it closed. We will find out tomorrow if the medicine is working, and if her heart murmur has improved.
3) Each day she is gradually having to get more oxygen support. Which means she may have to go back on the high frequency ventilator. This is typical of the journey in the NICU, however, we would love for her not to have to go back on it. The high frequency ventilator gives her alot of vibration, and it makes me feel like she is super uncomfortable.
4) The X-rays showed Ryleigh has developed a slight case of lung disease. The nurse assured me this is also typical of a baby born at her age. She had such a tough start that her body got worn down. She said that because Ryleigh is so young, her lungs will develop the cells that she lost over time. Pray that her lungs continue to get stronger!
5) Pray for the other NICU babies and parents too. Unless you have been down this road before, I truly cannot describe what it feels like to see your precious baby go through this.
We love you all and we will post pictures later! Blessings, Rod and Kam
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



23 comments:
Know that we think of you often, we're keeping you in our prayers. Much love, the Caldwell's
I am praying for sweet Ryleigh this morning. We love yall and hope to see you soon.
David
Kamara, we have not ever had one of our children in the NICU. Unfortunately, we have had children we love in there. I cannot at all empathize with where you are right now. But I can tell you I am in my usual place--praying. We have prayed some of our dearest friends (yours too) hrough that place and, while we hate for you to be there with Ryleigh, I want you to know that there are dozens of us surrounding you in prayer. We may not understand, but your words give us some insight and our hearts are with you.
Keep up the posts; I love having specific things to pray about. We love you and your family. We're committed to praying with you in the journey ahead. Congratulations on one week of that sweet baby's life!
Blessings,
Jessica Goudeau
Kam--what a beautiful post! I loved her name when yall announced it, but now I love it even more knowing just what it means! You are so right that your sweet baby is bringing so many to their knees...that is a powerful thought! I've prayed more these past couple of weeks than I feel like I have in a while...and I know I'm not alone in that! You are such a great mother and I know that you are doing a great job with her...don't think for one second you gave up on her when you let her finger go. You have to take care of you, too, girl, to be there for her!! I love you and continue to pray for yall!
See you soon-
Amy
Kamara,
I loved hearing your voice in your writing. Thank you for being so open and honest with all of us. I am praying for little Ryleigh and for you as you day to day go through the ups and downs of NICU life. Though I haven't done it, I've walked with Amy and it was one of the hardest things I've seen, done. And it wasn't even me! You are doing a great job in a VERY difficult season of life right now. I'm with the other comment, you did not give up on her--that was one of the most emotional moments of your life and I'm sure one of the most overwhelming. Ryleigh knows you are there for her and that you always will be.
I pray that you will be able to give yourself a lot of grace as you navigate all this. God bless you with great strength today, tomorrow, and the days ahead. Many of us are praying for you all. I love you so very much and we will continue praying for great progress for that precious little girl.
Love you! Praying for those requests.
I love you, sweet Friend.
Praying for a successful PICC line today. We love you, Rod and Kamara.
I am praying for Ryleigh and the specific things you listed. I also pray for you and Rod, that God provides strength and wisdom during this difficult time.
Kamara, I love you. Thank you for your sweet words -- it truly is amazing that through this incredible trial, you are ministering to people and bringing others close to God. We are constantly lifting up you, Rod and sweet Ryleigh in prayer. I will be praying for all of these requests, and will call again soon.
My eyes filled with tears as I read your post. This is such an emotional journey. My heart hurts that you guys are having to watch and endure these things too. But, it is evident that you are drawing near to God and he is working through this difficult situation. Isn't it amazing what He can do through someone so tiny and unaware of her influence :) We will pray today for the PDA, picc line, and lungs.
We are praying for sweet Ryleigh and your whole family. Thanks for the update and specifics prayer requests. love you guys
May God continue to work through the doctors, nurses, technology, medicine, and, most importantly, prayers, in Ryleigh's body and life. What a beautiful experience to have such a blessed child of God find such loving, compassionate, and humble parents (and older sister!). Please know our warm thoughts & prayers for healing & growth surround each of you daily . . .
Brian, Jenevieve, and Adelyn
We believe God will see you through every step of the way!! We are lifting your family up in prayer!!
Praying today for the PICC line today to be successful. What a beautiful post, thank you for sharing your heart. We are praying for you, Rod, Aubrey, and Ryleigh. She has a beautiful name.
Oh sweet kam. I love you and your heart! It is so good to hear from YOU (no offense zp). I see Ryleighs picture everyday and am praying expectantly. Keep us posted on that little sweetie. Love you guys so much!
Brit
Ryleigh is constantly on our hearts and in our prayers. We love y'all!
You are in our thoughts and prayers. You are such a precious family.
Oh, sweet friend, Ryleigh has already touched more people in her short life than most of us! Her fight is encouraging as is your faith and strength. It is encouraging b/c it is obviously God-sustained. Continous prayer on your family's behalf! We love you.
JT
Praying for you, sweet Ryleigh Grace. Mom, you're doing a super job and handling this situation better than most. I hope to meet Ryleigh soon!
I am still praying for precious Ryleigh. If you ever want an ear to talk to, I used to work in the NICU at Plano Med Center, and would be happy to talk sometime--you have my number.
much love,
Rae
Y'all have been in my thoughts and prayers so much in the last week. I will definitely continue to pray. Know that we love y'all, and we are excited to see the amazing things God has for Ryleigh Grace!
Hi you guys, I went from reading your blog to reading this: http://breezyacresfarm.blogspot.com/2010/02/familybaby.html
There is an end to your journey! Be encouraged!! Kelly
We're praying for y'all! I can't wait to see how God will use Ryleigh for the Kingdom!
Post a Comment