Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pray for Our Sweet Baby Girl

Hello Friends and Family,

  As most of you know, Rod and I were anxious and excited to have our 16 week sonogram yesterday. All had been well in this pregnancy, so we figured this would just be confirmation that everything was going smoothly. We were also excited about finding out the sex of the baby.

We went to the High Risk appointment just as planned.The sonographer seemed unusually quiet to us. When I asked her if everything was okay, she said that "typically she is supposed to let the doctor do the talking, and he would go over it with us." We had to wait quite some time, and we both found it weird that she was so quiet. Immediately, our doctor came in and said, "There is something wrong with the baby." My whole world came crashing down.

Basically, we were told our sweet baby girl has either Turner's Syndrome, Downs Syndrome, or Trisomy 13 or 18. He said the amount of excess fluid in her body is significant, and severe. Her chance of survival is very slim at this point, regardless of what the diagnosis is. Typically at this point in the pregnancy, babies that have fluid will either progress and continue to get fluid, or the fluid decreases and goes away. Our doctor felt as though the amount of fluid he saw was a good indication that things are not going in the right direction. We immediately got an amniocentesis so that testing can be done to clarify exactly what we are dealing with. We will receive the results of that test on Monday.

Regardless of the results, we were not given much hope. Our doctor feels as though most likely the baby will die within the next few weeks. I will go in weekly for a sonogram/checkups to see if the baby's heart is still beating.

I am completely at a loss of words over this. I was so hopeful that this pregnancy was going to go smoothly, and that I was going to carry this baby full term. Although our pregnancy with Ryleigh and this pregnancy has not gone the way we had planned, they are not related at all. The doctor told us that our chances of something like this happening again, are 1 percent.

I have spent quite a bit of time crying since receiving the news yesterday. I layed down last night crying, and she moved, reminding me that she was still there. God has given me the gift of feeling movement occasionally, and I am grateful for that. I am trying to cherish these moments, because I know that most likely those days are numbered. I never thought I would have to endure seeing a baby Ryleigh's size again in my life. Unfortunately, most likely I will be holding a child much smaller. It devastates me.

It's hard for me to understand why this has happened, but I know that God is carrying me through. Yesterday as I got up off my knees in prayer, I felt as though God was telling me, "It's going to be okay." A good friend of mine reminded me of the verse, "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those crushed in spirit." Psalms 34:18.

I am not sure what it is, but I know somehow something good is going to come from this. Maybe I won't figure it out for years, but I know that day will come.

Please pray for our family during this time. We are sad, in shock, and trying to cope with it all. We love you all. Blessings, Kamara

9 comments:

Amy McCown said...

Kamara and Rod - Tami sent a prayer request for you all this morning and my heart is hurting for you. Please know that you all will be in our prayers!
Amy McCown

Jenna said...

I am so very sorry. I know that you must be heartbroken. We will be praying for you guys and for your precious baby girl. So, so sorry.

Ashley said...

Praying and Praying and Praying

Jodi said...

Oh Kamara, I am so so sorry. I will be praying continually for that sweet baby girl and for you. There are certainly no words, but know that I feel for you in a very special way. I can't tell you how sad I am to hear about your day yesterday and the news you received, but I am thankful you feel that God is drawing you extra near during this time. May His mercies that are promised as new every morning be extra evident in tomorrow and the tomorrows to come. MANY HUGS, my friend. And sending much much love...

Jodi said...

Praying extra for your amnio results today. Not sure what to pray for, but I know He understands anyways....

Nichole said...

You have our prayers. Hugs.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this, Kamara. I can't even imagine how hard this must be. My heart and my prayers are with you daily and we love you.

Rachel

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I find myself in a constant state of prayer for you & your family. Praying God lifts you up, holds you close & gives you peace that passes all understanding

Christine said...

Praying for your amnio results today. Praying that God will give you the strength and peace to handle whatever comes your way. You are strong in your faith. Praying and praying . . .