It's amazing how much can change in just a few days. We were kind of stuck in the same place for awhile with Ryleigh, and she wasn't really getting worse, or better. Just within the last four days, her lungs have really started improving. We went way down on her oxygen, and pressures, which is always a good sign. Dr. Anderson decided to go ahead and give her a mild steroid, to help her lungs out a bit. It has been working too!
Last night when they weighed her, we had them check 3 times. She gained 3 ounces in 1 night! We are so happy to report that she is now 3 pounds, 1 ounce! Getting to the 3 pound mark feels really good. Yesterday Dr. Powell came up to me and said we were going to excubate her.(Which means no more conventional ventilator.) I couldn't believe it! I thought that would come in a couple of weeks. Now she looks like she is about to go scuba diving. I feel really sorry for her, she hates it. However, this is a step forward in the right direction.
I sat holding Ryleigh with tears yesterday, just thinking about the first time I heard her cry. I never thought I would look forward to that sound! They warned me it will sound funny for awhile, since she has had the tube going down her throat. When we put her back in her incubator after I was holding her today, I got to hear her sweet voice. It was such a little cry, but as precious as can be. It's hard to hear her cry and not just be able to pick her up and console her though. My heart aches for her so much of the time. Now that she is on the CPAP Mask (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) she can't open her eyes. Isn't that awful? You could see when she was trying, but just couldn't get them opened.
Ryleigh has gone up on her feedings, which is a good sign. Her belly looks so much bigger than the rest of her body, but it's adorable. I also got to see Ryleigh in her first outfit. It makes her seem more like a baby, to see her in clothes. I never knew they made baby clothes so tiny till Ryleigh.
It's hard to believe we have been in the NICU for 6 weeks today! OH man! There is another 24 weeker in the NICU now. I feel so blessed with how far we have come. I looked at her birth pictures not long ago, and all the same feelings came back. I am so glad I don't have to go back to that place.
The NICU provides a date night for families in the NICU, and we had our first one this week! I have to say, it was pretty neat. The nurses even served us the meal. It was nice to escape for a couple of hours!
Oh, and we got moved today! We now get our own little private room! I can't believe it!
Enjoy the latest pics below. As always, thanks for all the prayers and encouragement!
Dad's first Kangaroo Care! Not many Dads can say they held their baby at 28 weeks!
I love this outfit on Ryleigh!
Check out all the hair!
The last pic I took of Ryleigh on the ventilator
I love how Ryleigh is holding my hand here.
Aubrey, you're too little to pump
Some of our nurses, and waitresses for the night
Ryleigh on CPAP (As you can see, it's hard to find her face underneath the mask)
Our little thumb sucker
Please no more pictures!
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
Great mews on the CPAP. They do hate that thing and it looks horrible...but it such a big step. Six weeks is a long time...but once she is home it won't seem like as long. Our NICU stay is hard to remember now. If you need premie clothes...I saved some of our favorites...just let me and I'll get them to you. We are praying for you guys!
She is precious. I love the little polka dot outfits! Your family is in our daily thoughts and prayers. I am so glad that Ryleigh is continuing to improve at such a wonderful rate!
Shes a doll! I am overcome with excitment for you. My eyes are full of tears of joy as a hold my own preemie-now 15 months old. Remember that God has you and Ryleigh in His hands! As far as clothes go, baby doll clothes and Build-a-Bear clothes work great! Just sew the tail hole closed. May God continue to bless you!
This post made me cry. I can't imagine what you guys have been, and are, going through. I pray for little Ryleigh every day. I'm also saving up "Nana" kisses for her. She's a doll!
HOLY COW!! Great post! So many wonderful things to report! We are so happy! That CPAP is so very horrible, but so very AWESOME!! The clothes are so great. We didn't get clothes til 4lbs!! She is so cute. I love her hair! I'm just so happy things are starting to pick up after the stall out. What a great idea for the Date night!??! Sounds like you are in a TOP NOTCH place. We are always praying for you. I hate i missed your call the other day...We'll keep trying. Love you
That is sooo wonderful. Amazing! I'm loving seeing her in clothes. She is super cute!! Love y'all, and we're still praying!
WOW! SOOO happy to hear the great news! Her sweet little hands, fingers, everything, just so precious. Thank you Jesus, you are so sweet.
SO much good news...SO thankful to hear it!!! Daddy holding her, first outfit, 3 lbs, NO VENTILATOR?!?!? God is so good!
And I love that the NICU nurses gave you guys a date night. What a precious gift! We love you!
Oh Kam!! What an amazing little daughter you have! It's such a blessing to read about all the wonderful things the LORD is doing for Ryleigh and your whole family! She is beautiful!!!
I LOVE this post. Thanks for letting us know how Ryleigh is doing. All of the progress is such great news for her. Plus 3 pounds is such a milestone AND no ventilator. Yea, Ryleigh! Keep it up, girl!
such wonderful news! We are just ecstatic for you guys and amazed at her progress. she is a beautiful little girl and i love seeing how big she's getting. she is a perfect little miracle!
Post a Comment